Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Reflecting as Jenna Grace turns 4.

Our sweet baby girl turns 4 today.

Well, today is the date they gave her when she was found outside on the orphanage steps. She was just days old and so they guessed. Truth is it could have been yesterday or tomorrow or in 2 days. And while that isn't something I focus on, it is hard for me not to think about. 4 years ago JG was born into this world somewhere in China. She was abandoned (probably) because of the birthmark that covered part of her face. The birthmark that we don't even remember is there most of the time.
I think about her parents. Or maybe there was just a mom making this incredibly hard choice. Maybe she was single. Maybe she was all alone in this world with no support. Maybe she was sick. I am sure she was terrified. Most of all she was terrified of getting caught dumping her baby. There is a pretty stiff penalty for that, I am told. I can't even imagine feeling like you can't keep your baby. The very child you have felt growing inside of you for 9 months. I don't care who you are or how calloused you may have become, when life is blossoming, kicking and moving around, you are moved. When I carried my first child, I was not living in the best circumstances and had become a little rough around the edges. But feeling my baby kick. Seeing my growing abdomen, I was moved with a love and compassion that overflowed. And the moment he was born, everything was right with the world...even though it wasn't.

I do not judge this mama, this baba (chinese for daddy) for their choice. I pray for them. I feel for them. I ask God to reach them. I ask God to allow them to know, somehow underneath it all, that their precious baby girl is not just OK, but amazing. And she is.

Jenna Grace has literally lit up our lives. She is wonderful and happy, she is a joy to everyone who meets her. She has a smile that lights up any room she walks into. She is intelligent and has a deep desire to learn. Especially, it seems, about God. She talks about Him everyday. She asks questions that amaze me and I am learning to teach her straight from the same bible I read every day (thanks Shirley). I am thankful for all that I have learned about teaching, training and guiding my daughter for this 5th time around.

She loves Frozen, still (thank you Stacy), Mickey Mouse and Doc Mcstuffins. She loves to pretend she is a ballerina and had her first class at church last night. She likes the colors pink, purple and blue. She loves her brothers and sister but most of all she loves me and Brian. Morning snuggles with her Baba are the best and they never leave each other without a MUAH (big kiss). She prefers yoga pants and flip flops and prefers to wear her hair down. She is proud she can put on her own school shoes and wants to learn how to tie the laces on her converse. She loves to sing and make up songs and tell me she loves us about 100 times in a day. Her favorite food is Chick a Fay (Chick Fil A) and she would happily eat there everyday. Her best friends are Elsie, Hampton, Hansen and Waverly. She loves pre-school and being the boss.
Our best times are at night when we read God's word, pray and snuggle together as we rock. We talk about everything from being adopted into our family and us being adopted into God's. Our latest lesson is Romans 8:28 and learning that we need to seek God for HIS purpose for our lives and not our own.

I can't thank God enough for the blessing that adoption is in our lives. If you are not involved in orphan care ministry in some way, please look into how you can be. You may not feel called to adopt but you are called to DO something. Stop procrastinating and as Nike says JUST DO IT!

Blessings.

Easter

My cutie in braids.

This just shows how silly and funny she can be. And that smile...


This was just taken a couple of weeks ago. Not 3 anymore but too cute not to post.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, about a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable!! I miss our chats. Life keeps us busy.

    ReplyDelete