Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Joys of adoption

Last post before coming home.
Today was a fun and pretty uneventful day.
We had our oath swearing at the consulate this morning at dawn. Not really, but it felt like it. Everything went really smoothly and Joy made friends with all the littles while we were there. I know she misses her foster brother so much. I am hoping JG will ease the pain a little once we are home.
We got back so early in the morning it was a little tricky wondering what to do the rest of the day.
So I taught her the game of UNO and in less than five minutes she had her strategy down and we were laughing our heads off.

I figured after 10 days in China I deserved (not really deserved) some pampering so I went for a mani/pedi. I tried to convince Joy but she wasn't having anything to do with it. She and her daddy went for lunch instead.
UNO took up the rest of the afternoon with so much laughing my face hurt and I gained some new eye wrinkles.
This evening was spent on the Pearl River Cruise which Joy loved. She spent the majority talking to our guide, Joyce. Can't say I blame her. She knows talking to other Chinese people will be minimal once we are home.
                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When we first started this process and were looking through the long heartbreaking list of children (minus photos) waiting for families there were 2 I was drawn to immediately. A little girl with a similar birthmark to JG (more severe) who is 4 and Joy who at the time was 12 (she turned 13 a week after). I wrestled for a short time just knowing that little four year old would be adopted bc of her age but that Joy had almost no chance at all. So after a few more weeks of wrestling (mainly bc of Joy's age) and wondering if this could be right for our family, a family meeting, prayer and asking for "a sign" (just kidding) we said yes knowing God opens and shuts doors no man can open and shut. We trusted that if it wasn't right He would be clear.
The day after we arrived in Guangzhou we had to meet our guide along with other Holt (our agency) families for our medical check/visa stuff.
As soon as we rounded the corner of the lobby there she was, that little 4 year old girl with the birthmark similar to JG!! I almost fell over. I have been in awe of God in so many ways but this took the cake. It's not astounding that she was adopted. But do you have any idea what kind of odds had to be in play for her to be in our exact group? There is no way I ever would have known otherwise...But God...
The emotion surrounding that one incident alone will forever play over and over in my head.
I encourage you whatever it is you feel led to do but aren't sure, just take steps. God WILL direct. He WILL guide. He WILL calm your fears. But most of all He WILL walk with you every step of the way and beyond. And if you're afraid (and trust me I understand that!), DO IT afraid.

God's hand is clearly evident in this situation. In all situations like this. In just one short week this not so little girl says "mommy, daddy, baba, I love you" and kisses me and her daddy on the cheek. She laughs and acts silly. Doesn't shy away from learning new words in English. She is clearly comfortable. I know there is lots of heartache and heartbreak. There will be difficult times but love always wins. Always. Because Jesus is love and we get to be His hands and feet. And hopefully because we are, Joy will find her joy in the Jesus who not only brought her the forever family she didn't know she needed but also joy in accepting the truth of His love that will save her soul.

                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please pray for our very long travel day on Thursday. It starts at 4am and we will land in Raleigh at approximately 9:30pm. Here are specific requests: Pray for no motion sickness for Joy. Her heart as she leaves the country she loves and meets a new family/friends who already love her so much. For us all to sleep on the plane and for zero anxiety for me. Thank you again for being on this journey with us.
Until we see you all again on American soil...blessings. We love you!!

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys! A beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord's hand is definitely in all of this! Amazing how He led you to this decision! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete